Volunteer Smart Growth Intern
We are seeking a motivated individual to provide policy research and analysis for our smart growth and open space protection campaigns throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Gather critical facts and background information to inform our advocacy campaigns
- Research relevant projects and emerging smart growth policies at the state and local level
- Analysis of public documents – for example, reviewing draft Specific Plans, Transit Area Plans and Environmental Impact Reports (EIRs)
- Support program staff as needed
- Knowledge of urban planning and land use issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with people from varied backgrounds in a professional manner on the phone, via email, and in person
- Ability to plan and prioritize workflow, meet deadlines, work independently, and take initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills specifically in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience with GIS (Geographic Information Systems) is preferred
Time Commitment & Compensation
This is a volunteer position that will require at least 14 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months.
This position is an excellent opportunity to have an impact on land use decisions throughout the Bay Area. The volunteer intern will meet professionals from around the region and will learn about environmental and urban planning issues while developing a network of contacts and references in the planning field. When applying for future jobs, volunteer interns will be able to point to tangible results from their work and describe discrete projects that they led.
Send a resume, cover letter, and 1-2 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and “Smart Growth Volunteer Internship” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be evaluated as they arrive; the position is open until filled.
About Greenbelt Alliance
Greenbelt Alliance is the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special. We ensure the right development happens in the right places. We work to protect the region’s open spaces and make sure cities grow in a way that creates great neighborhoods for everyone.
With a committed staff of 18, Greenbelt Alliance has a strong team spirit and sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Santa Rosa, and Walnut Creek.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBT persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.