Director of Climate & Resilience
The Director of Climate and Resilience is responsible for developing and implementing programmatic strategies for climate-smart growth and conservation around the region. The Director will also work with the CEO on the development and evolution of the organization’s strategic direction and manage the program team across the region.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a background in and passion for the intersection between climate change and land use—including policy and/or planning around climate adaptation and mitigation efforts. The candidate will also have management experience, and be energized by working in a team environment with a small nimble group of professionals. A successful candidate will be highly organized, work efficiently and effectively both within a team and autonomously on simultaneous projects and comfortable working in a dynamic environment with shifting priorities.
This Person Will
- Develop and implement programmatic strategies for climate-smart growth around the region.
- Provide senior-level insight to the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Develop/maintain effective relationships with partner organizations, allied groups, & community leaders.
- Hire and manage programmatic staff.
- Oversee programmatic campaign execution and metrics for success.
- Work with CEO on the development and evolution of the organization’s strategic direction; lead the design of new strategic initiatives.
- Manage program team across the region.
- Manage program-specific partnerships with a broad group of organizations and municipalities.
- Organize and speak at conferences and events to encourage awareness about our work with support from Program, Marketing, and Fundraising.
- Serve as an expert speaker in public hearings that address our current issue areas.
- Draft written products, e.g. case statements, for major donors as needed.
- Prepare content for foundation grant reports with the support of Fundraising staff.
- Cultivate and build new media relationships with support from Marketing, serve as spokesperson for the organization when needed.
Qualifications, Knowledge, & Skills
- 6-10 years of experience in environmental land use planning and/or advocacy with a focus on climate adaptation or related skills.
- Experience managing teams and cross-department coordination.
- Experience communicating and maintaining relationships with local leaders.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills, analytical problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, demonstrated ability to communicate with others effectively.
We’d Be Thrilled If You Have
- Passion for climate adaptation.
- A strong understanding of climate change impacts in frontline & marginalized communities.
- Ability to interact with & understand people of various social, cultural, economic, & education backgrounds.
- Knowledge of Bay Area political and environmental landscape.
- Familiarity with Salesforce.
- Demonstrated success communicating complicated program work to donors/institutions.
- Experience participating in profile-raising efforts of an organization such as media outreach, social media, and high-level relationship management.
Compensation, Schedule, & Location
This is a full time, exempt position based in San Francisco, CA, with a small amount of local travel required. Occasional work during evenings and weekends will be required for meetings and corporate fundraising events. Salary will be determined upon hiring, commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills, but will be in the approximate range of $75,000 to $95,000 per year. Greenbelt Alliance offers full employer-paid health and dental insurance for employees, generous vacation and sick time, and an exciting, team-oriented work environment. Flexible spending accounts, Commuter Checks, and 403(b) retirement accounts also available.
About Greenbelt Alliance
For 60 years, Greenbelt Alliance has been the leading land-use advocacy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. To create a more resilient Bay Area, we protect the region’s open spaces and make sure our cities and towns grow in a climate-smart way.
Greenbelt Alliance is one of the most effective and well-respected environmental organizations in the Bay Area. Our work has encouraged Bay Area cities and counties to adopt land-use policies to effectively protect over two million acres of natural and agricultural lands. We were one of the first environmental organizations in the nation to establish a program to endorse and advocate for smart growth developments, improving more than 140 neighborhoods around the region and endorsing over 70,000 homes to be built to date. We are a small, nimble staff of savvy professionals with strong team spirit and sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Santa Rosa, Fairfield, and Walnut Creek.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBT persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for the Director of Climate and Resilience position, please click here.