Job Announcement: East Bay Campaigns Volunteer Intern
Greenbelt Alliance is seeking a highly motivated individual for a rewarding internship in community organizing and policy advocacy based in our Walnut Creek Field Office.
The East Bay Campaigns Intern will work with our East Bay Regional Representative to develop and implement strategies to support Greenbelt Alliance’s Homes and Neighborhoods and Contra Costa County sprawl prevention campaigns.
- Coalition Building: work with the Regional Representative to seek out and engage leaders of community groups such as neighborhood residents, schools, unions, and faith-based organizations in campaigns to protect natural and agricultural lands and encourage smart growth. This includes working to coordinate volunteer teams for community events, public hearings, and tabling.
- Engaging in the Democratic Process: attend public meetings as a representative of Greenbelt Alliance and gain valuable advocacy experience.
- Policy Analysis: conduct policy research to support campaign objectives and improve conservation outcomes and smart growth opportunities throughout the Bay Area. Learn the recent history of East Bay conservation and development and apply it to creating the right development in the right places.
- The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic and outgoing, and have a strong interest in land conservation and smart growth issues.
- A background in public policy/political science, urban planning, public relations, community organizing, communications, or management is helpful, but not required.
- Interns must be detail-oriented, possess excellent written and oral communication skills, have a proven ability to work effectively and creatively with diverse populations, have a good sense of humor, and be able to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to apply. Residency in the East Bay is strongly encouraged.
Compensation & Benefits
Although the East Bay Campaigns Internship position is unpaid, you will have the unique opportunity to help shape Greenbelt Alliance’s campaigns that are of regional significance to the East Bay. Interns will gain valuable skills in policy analysis, communication, media relations, and grassroots organizing and advocacy. Greenbelt Alliance interns are a part of an organization that is doing deeply rewarding work to improve the quality of life for the entire region. Interns will get a feel for the functioning of an established, effective nonprofit organization. Interns will also have the opportunity to learn about the public policy field and environmental issues facing the East Bay while also getting a chance to become more comfortable with direct advocacy.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the title of the position in the subject line.
Cover letters should include the following information:
- The reason for your interest in this internship opportunity
- The experiences that have prepared you for this opportunity
- Your availability (times and days, length of commitment)
- How you heard about this internship opportunity
About Greenbelt Alliance
Greenbelt Alliance is the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special. We ensure the right development happens in the right places. We work to protect the region’s open spaces and make sure cities grow in a way that creates great neighborhoods for everyone.
With a committed staff of 18, Greenbelt Alliance has a strong team spirit and sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Santa Rosa, and Walnut Creek.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBT persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.