Job Announcement: Campaign Assistant
Temporary, Part-time Position
Greenbelt Alliance seeks a committed and enthusiastic candidate to support our campaigns. This position is flexibly based in San Francisco, the South Bay, or the East Bay.
The Bay Area hosts a rich mosaic of iconic natural areas, expansive ranchlands, and working farms. These majestic landscapes provide groundwater replenishment, flood control, wildlife habitat, fresh food, and recreation. Yet today, the risk of sprawl development on many of these lands is high; Greenbelt Alliance’s 2017 At Risk research found that 293,000 acres of natural and agricultural lands are currently at risk of being lost to poorly planned development. Meanwhile, there is significant need for new homes for residents across the income spectrum in walkable, transit-oriented communities within our existing cities and towns. Such smart development patterns are essential to address the region’s pressing housing affordability crisis, protect our environment, and improve the Bay Area’s quality of life.
The Campaign Assistant will have the opportunity to make a meaningful difference in addressing these pressing challenges by supporting Greenbelt Alliance’s open space protection and smart growth campaigns.
Examples of campaigns that this role will support include:
- A multi-faceted effort to protect the iconic Coyote Valley in southern San Jose
- Securing voter support for a ballot measure to safeguard 1,800 acres of open space in Antioch
- Shaping the Bay Area’s regional land-use and transportation plan and accompanying housing strategy
The position will begin as soon as filled and is anticipated to last approximately through fall 2018 with a time commitment of 15-20 hours per week. Occasional travel to locations in the South and East Bay (some served by transit and others that are not) is required.
The Campaign Assistant will work under the direction of Greenbelt Alliance’s Deputy Director. The focus of the Assistant’s work will be to ensure the successful execution of multiple efforts to shape public policies that affect how the Bay Area grows.
Specifically, the Campaign Assistant will be responsible for supporting efforts to:
- Educate and mobilize residents to take action on important public policies across the Bay Area.
- Develop and disseminate compelling data and messages on the benefits of open space preservation and sustainable, equitable development patterns.
- Research and influence local and regional land-use policies and development proposals.
Example activities include working closely with Greenbelt Alliance staff to generate voter turn-out on important local ballot measures, helping coordinate public and private events, preparing materials for internal and external use, and supporting policy and land-use planning research.
- Project management: Strong organizational skills and ability to manage complex internal and external processes. Ability to plan and execute events ranging from meetings with elected officials and public agency staff to public presentations and tours.
- Communication: Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to interact with diverse constituencies, understand political sensitivities, and act with professionalism and diplomacy.
- Collaboration: Ability to work independently to meet deadlines and work well as part of a dynamic team. Drive and motivation to identify opportunities for innovative solutions.
- Subject expertise: Exposure to organizing and advocacy and knowledge of open space conservation and land-use planning is encouraged.
Most importantly, the Campaign Assistant will be committed to protecting the Bay Area’s greenbelt of natural landscapes, farms, and ranches, and creating thriving neighborhoods that meet the needs of people from all walks of life.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Modest sick leave and holiday pay are included as benefits.
For 60 years, Greenbelt Alliance has been the leading land-use advocacy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. As the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special, we protect the region’s open spaces and make sure our cities and towns grow in a way that creates great neighborhoods for everyone.
Greenbelt Alliance is one of the most effective and well-respected environmental organizations in the Bay Area. With a committed staff of 17 savvy professionals at the forefront of the smart growth movement, Greenbelt Alliance has a strong team spirit and sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Fairfield, San Jose, Santa Rosa, and Walnut Creek.
See www.greenbelt.org to learn more about our work.
Email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Be sure to include the job title followed by your name in the subject line.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ+ persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.