Job Announcement: Santa Clara County Open Space Campaign Assistant
Temporary, part-time position
Greenbelt Alliance seeks a committed and enthusiastic candidate to support our Santa Clara County open space protection campaigns. This is a temporary part-time position based in San Francisco or San Jose.
Santa Clara County is home to some of the Bay Area’s most treasured watersheds, ranchlands, working farms, and wildlife corridors. Yet today, the risk of sprawl development on many of these lands is high; Greenbelt Alliance’s At Risk research found that over half of Santa Clara County’s farmland is currently at risk of being lost to poorly planned development.
The Open Space Campaign Assistant will support Greenbelt Alliance’s open space protection campaigns in Santa Clara County. The primary focus will be the protection of the 7,400-acre Coyote Valley at the edge of San Jose. This majestic landscape provides groundwater replenishment, flood control, wildlife habitat, farmland, and recreation. Unfortunately, the valley has long experienced threats to its ecological and agricultural integrity and landowners are currently marketing their properties for sprawl development. Greenbelt Alliance is working on a multi-faceted effort with key stakeholders for long-term protection of the area.
In addition, the Campaign Assistant will support ongoing efforts to limit urban expansion onto natural and agricultural lands and encourage sustainable, equitable development patterns throughout Santa Clara County.
The position begins in mid-November 2017 and is anticipated to last approximately four months with a time commitment of 15-20 hours per week. Occasional travel to locations in the South Bay (some served by transit and others that are not) is required.
The Campaign Assistant will work under the direction of Greenbelt Alliance’s Program Director and Deputy Director to help achieve our open space protection goals for Santa Clara County. The focus of the Assistant’s work will be to ensure the successful execution of multiple efforts to shape public policies that affect Coyote Valley and other important landscapes.
Specifically, the Campaign Assistant will be responsible for supporting efforts to:
- Integrate conservation of natural and agricultural lands into the City of San Jose’s long-range sustainability plans.
- Ensure that development proposals that threaten important natural or agricultural lands are not approved.
- Develop and disseminate compelling data and messages on the benefits and opportunities for infill development as an alternative to sprawl.
- Increase the number of residents and stakeholders supportive of Greenbelt Alliance’s goals.
Example activities include working closely with Greenbelt Alliance staff to help coordinate public and private events, prepare materials for internal and external use, and support policy and land-use planning research.
- Project management: Strong organizational skills and ability to manage complex internal and external processes. Ability to plan and execute events ranging from meetings with elected officials and public agency staff to public presentations and tours.
- Communication: Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to interact with diverse constituencies, understand political sensitivities, and act with professionalism and diplomacy.
- Collaboration: Ability to work independently to meet deadlines and work well as part of a dynamic team. Drive and motivation to identify opportunities for innovative solutions.
- Subject expertise: Knowledge of open space conservation and land-use planning, understanding of the regulatory environment and jurisdictional roles (e.g. cities, county, special districts). Exposure to organizing and advocacy.
Most importantly, the Campaign Assistant will be committed to protecting the Bay Area’s greenbelt of natural landscapes, farms, and ranches, and creating thriving neighborhoods that meet the needs of people from all walks of life.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Modest sick leave and holiday pay are included as benefits.
For 60 years, Greenbelt Alliance has been the leading land-use advocacy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. As the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special, we protect the region’s open spaces and make sure our cities and towns grow in a way that creates great neighborhoods for everyone.
Greenbelt Alliance is one of the most effective and well-respected environmental organizations in the Bay Area. With a committed staff of 17 savvy professionals at the forefront of the smart growth movement, Greenbelt Alliance has a strong team spirit and sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Fairfield, San Jose, Santa Rosa, and Walnut Creek.
See www.greenbelt.org to learn more about our work.
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the job title followed by your name in the subject line.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBT persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.