Job Announcement: South Bay Smart Growth Campaign Coordinator
Temporary, part-time position
Greenbelt Alliance seeks a committed and enthusiastic candidate to help foster sustainable, equitable development in the heart of Silicon Valley. This is a temporary part-time position based in Santa Clara County.
The Bay Area is expected to grow by approximately two million people over the next generation. By guiding new homes, shops, and jobs into our existing cities and towns, our region can become more sustainable, affordable, and economically prosperous. If instead, the region continues to sprawl outward, we face lengthening commutes, increased greenhouse gas emissions, worsened public health outcomes, increased housing affordability challenges, and threats to the many benefits that our natural and agricultural lands provide—including clean water, fresh food, wildlife habitat, and climate resilience.
Fortunately, several communities in Silicon Valley are poised to make decisions that could guide growth in smart ways. In particular, the City of Santa Clara and the City of Sunnyvale are preparing land-use and transportation plans for the El Camino Real corridor, one of the main transit routes through both cities. The corridor is an ideal location for walkable, transit-oriented development that serves residents across the income spectrum—as well as new amenities that support walking, biking, and transit.
The primary focus of the Smart Growth Campaign Coordinator will be to ensure that these two planning processes deliver sustainable, equitable development outcomes. In addition, the Campaign Coordinator will support Greenbelt Alliance’s smart growth objectives in several other key communities in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties.
This work is expected to begin in mid-November 2017 and last approximately four months. The position requires a varied schedule, including some nights and weekends, with a time commitment of 15-20 hours per week. We anticipate most of the work requiring presence in the South Bay with occasional meetings in San Francisco.
The Campaign Coordinator will work under the direction of Greenbelt Alliance’s Deputy Director. The Coordinator will primarily work to ensure successful community participation in local land-use planning processes. This will include coordinating activities to educate and inspire residents about the benefits of smart growth, fostering the development of shared community priorities for local land-use processes, and ensuring that these priorities are effectively communicated to local decision makers.
Specifically, the Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the effort to:
- Organize events such as panel discussions on sustainable, equitable development.
- Follow local planning processes and provide analyses of key issues and opportunities.
- Coordinate with local leaders to identify and communicate shared priorities.
- Increase the number of residents engaged in this work and supportive of Greenbelt Alliance’s goals.
Ability to travel to locations throughout the South Bay (some served by transit and others that are not) is required.
- Community organizing: Ability to work with volunteers and professionals to get people involved in community decision making. Experience in organizing will be prioritized over subject matter expertise.
- Project management: Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple complex internal and external processes. Ability to plan and execute events including public presentations and tours.
- Communication: Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to interact with diverse constituencies, understand political sensitivities, and act with professionalism and diplomacy.
- Collaboration: Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team. Drive and motivation to identify opportunities for innovative solutions.
- Subject expertise: Knowledge of smart growth principles and land-use planning, understanding of the regulatory environment and jurisdictional roles (e.g. cities, counties, special districts).
Most importantly, the Smart Growth Campaign Coordinator will be committed to protecting the Bay Area’s greenbelt of natural landscapes, farms, and ranches, and creating thriving neighborhoods that meet the needs of people from all walks of life.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Modest sick leave and holiday pay are included as benefits.
For 60 years, Greenbelt Alliance has been the leading land-use advocacy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. As the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special, we protect the region’s open spaces and make sure our cities and towns grow in a way that creates great neighborhoods for everyone.
Greenbelt Alliance is one of the most effective and well-respected environmental organizations in the Bay Area. With a committed staff of 17 savvy professionals at the forefront of the smart growth movement, Greenbelt Alliance has a strong team spirit and sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Fairfield, San Jose, Santa Rosa, and Walnut Creek.
See www.greenbelt.org to learn more about our work.
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the job title followed by your name in the subject line.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBT persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.