Regional Representative – Solano County
Greenbelt Alliance seeks a committed, experienced, and enthusiastic candidate for the position of Regional Representative. The Regional Representative will lead Greenbelt Alliance’s cutting-edge advocacy campaigns in one of the Bay Area’s most challenging and rewarding areas for directing growth, in Solano County.
The Regional Representative will be Greenbelt Alliance’s leading voice in Solano County. S/he will be responsible for managing a diverse portfolio of education, outreach, advocacy, and leadership-building efforts in Solano County focused on conservation and smart growth to build a resilient and climate-smart region.
As the primary contact for a range of stakeholders, including elected officials, city and county staff, and community leaders, the Regional Representative will act independently to determine how to most effectively engage the organization—drawing on high-level standards and goals set with organizational leadership.
The candidate should have experience with managing outreach and/or public advocacy programs across a broad range of stakeholders. The Regional Representative should be an analytical thinker and problem solver who can bring together diverse stakeholders to address some of our county’s biggest challenges. S/he should be able to proactively lead and act independently while at other times respond effectively as part of a team led by others.
This person will:
- Lead local campaign efforts for smart growth planning and development, protection of open space, and improved quality of life in Solano County. Responsibilities include campaign planning, coalition building, and policy advocacy. A special focus of the Regional Representative will be to promote the establishment of an Open Space District in Solano County similar to those in the other Bay Area counties.
- Work with the Greenbelt Alliance team to develop effective materials and messaging around local environmental preservation and growth.
- Recruit, coordinate, and educate local leaders and elected officials who will be strong voices for climate-smart land-use decisions and policies that reduce GHG pollution and help our region adapt to a changing climate.
- Build and deepen partnerships within the environmental community and build alliances across issue areas, as the environmental issues facing Solano County and the Bay Area are urgent and interconnected, and our success is dependent on building connections and alliances to address these challenges together.
Qualifications, Knowledge, And Skills
The Regional Representative will be an enthusiastic self-starter with some combination of experience in the following areas:
- Strategic planning/campaign planning
- Analyzing, developing, and implementing public policy (experience on land-use, open space conservation, urban planning, climate adaptation, affordable housing, and/or community development policy preferred)
- Building relationships with community leaders and elected officials
- Engaging stakeholders to create positive change in their communities
- Volunteer recruitment and management
- Public speaking before citizen organizations, elected bodies and members of the press
- Writing persuasively on tight deadlines
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple issues, campaigns, and diverse relationships
- Flexible schedule and access to a car also required.
We’d Be Thrilled If You Have
- A strong understanding of environmental justice and climate change impacts in frontline & marginalized communities
- Experience in political campaigns
- Knowledge of Bay Area political and environmental landscape
- Experience participating in profile-raising efforts of an organization such as media outreach and social media
Most importantly, the Regional Representative will be enthusiastically committed to protecting the Bay Area’s greenbelt of natural landscapes, farms, and ranches, and to creating thriving neighborhoods that meet the needs of people from all walks of life.
Compensation, Schedule & Location
This is a full time, exempt, time-limited position based in Fairfield, CA, with a small amount of local travel required. The duration is for one year, with the potential for extension based on funding. Occasional work during evenings and weekends will be required for meetings and corporate fundraising events. Salary will be in the range of $60-70k, commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills. Greenbelt Alliance offers full employer-paid health and dental insurance for employees, generous vacation and sick time, and an exciting, team-oriented work environment. Flexible spending accounts, Commuter Checks, and 403(b) retirement accounts also available.
About Greenbelt Alliance
For 60 years, Greenbelt Alliance has been the leading land-use advocacy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. To create a more resilient Bay Area, we protect the region’s open spaces and make sure our cities and towns grow in a climate-smart way.
Greenbelt Alliance is one of the most effective and well-respected environmental organizations in the Bay Area. Our work has encouraged Bay Area cities and counties to adopt land-use policies to effectively protect over two million acres of natural and agricultural lands. We were one of the first environmental organizations in the nation to establish a program to endorse and advocate for smart growth developments, improving more than 140 neighborhoods around the region and endorsing over 70,000 homes to be built to date. Read more about our history and mission online.
We are a small, nimble staff of savvy professionals with strong team spirit and a sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Santa Rosa, Fairfield, and Walnut Creek.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBT persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Read more about our values here.
How to Apply
To apply for the Regional Representative – Solano County position, please click here.