Job Announcement: Sustainable Mapping Volunteer Intern
We are seeking a motivated individual to provide policy research and GIS (geographic information systems) support for our campaigns for open space protection and better city planning throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- GIS research and display – What is the walking and bicycling distance from a proposed station or the collision rate along a corridor? What are the open space values at risk of urbanization in the Bay Area? How can maps tell the compelling stories of the land?
- Policy research – What new zoning tools could Sonoma County implement to prevent rural parcelization and sprawl development? How can cities improve the development process for infill housing? Where are the critical components of county food systems? What are conditions of the Bay Area county water and irrigation districts?
- GIS system development – updating and improving Greenbelt Alliance’s GIS data layers
- Emissions analysis – using the CalEEMod software package to calculate estimated greenhouse gas emissions and new vehicle trips produced from development proposals
- Analysis of public documents – for example, reviewing draft Specific Plans, Transit Area Plans and Environmental Impact Reports (EIRs) and drafting formal comment letter
The GIS/Policy Volunteer Intern will support and directly report to the Planning & Research Manager and contribute to a supportive, collaborative, and productive work environment at Greenbelt Alliance. They must be a highly organized individual with the following skills:
- Required proficiency using Geographic Information Systems
- One year minimum experience or advanced GIS class work
- Experience in land use planning and/or environmental conservation
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with people from varied backgrounds in a professional manner on the phone, via email, and in person
- Ability to plan and prioritize workflow and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, be solution-oriented
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills specifically in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe applications (Illustrator, InDesign)
Compensation & Benefits
This is an unpaid, volunteer position that will require at least 14 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months. This position is an excellent opportunity to have an impact on land use decisions throughout the Bay Area. The volunteer intern will meet professionals from around the region and will learn about environmental and urban planning issues while developing a network of contacts and references in the planning field. When applying for future jobs, volunteer interns will be able to point to tangible results from their work and describe discrete projects that they led.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the title of the position in the subject line.
About Greenbelt Alliance
Greenbelt Alliance is the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special. We ensure the right development happens in the right places. We work to protect the region’s open spaces and make sure cities grow in a way that creates great neighborhoods for everyone.
With a committed staff of 18, Greenbelt Alliance has a strong team spirit and sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Fairfield, San Jose, Santa Rosa, and Walnut Creek.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBT persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.