Vote YES on San Mateo County’s Measure W
Update: We’re thrilled that San Mateo County Voters said YES to Measure W in November 2018.
Greenbelt Alliance endorsed San Mateo County’s Measure W to reduce traffic congestion and improve public transportation. This measure will raise approximately $2.4 billion over 30 years, money that will support local transit, improve infrastructure for bicycles and pedestrians, create better connections to regional transit networks, and maintain highways and streets. This will be accomplished via a half-cent sales tax.
With a full sixty percent of the funds intended for transit operations and capital, this measure can help spur transit-oriented development, provide residents with new transportation options, and reduce emissions from car traffic. All investment will be shaped by a strong set of guiding principles, included in the measure to influence the selection of individual projects. These principles include the following:
- Facilitate the reduction of vehicle miles traveled and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Incentivize transit, bicycle, pedestrian, carpooling and other shared-ride options over driving alone.
- Enhance safety and public health.
- Maximize traffic reduction potential associated with the creation of new housing opportunities in high-quality transit corridors.
- Promote environmentally friendly transportation solutions and projects that incorporate green.
- Create stormwater infrastructure and plan for climate change.
Photo: Paul Sullivan via Flickr