Greenbelt Alliance’s Climate SMART Development Endorsement Program is expanding its evaluation committee and applications are now open until January 15, 2024. Get to know our current members.
The DEP committee provides support and show public endorsement for housing development projects that advance the right kind of development in the right places across the Bay Area (see the projects we have endorsed).
We are looking for additional members from across the Bay Area who share our climate SMART—Sustainable, Mixed, Affordable, Resilient, Transit-Oriented—vision, and professionals with expertise in housing equity, sustainability, finance, and environmental design. We would like this committee to accurately reflect a diversity of ages, professions, backgrounds, and genders as well as employment status, including those who are in school, employed, or retired.
The meetings are currently held via Zoom every other month, for up to 1.5 hours, with occasional ad hoc meetings. The new committee members would attend their first meeting in February 2024.
The goals of the Climate SMART Development Endorsement Program are:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and build resilience to climate impacts.
- Promote equity, foster community resilience, and protect the most vulnerable.
- Prioritize natural and green infrastructure solutions to enhance and protect natural resources and urban environments.
- Preserve and restore ecological systems that enhance natural system functions, services, and quality and that reduce risk.
By promoting climate-smart development, we can create thriving, resilient neighborhoods with ready access to transit, and housing everyone. We can continue to protect the Bay Area’s greenbelts from sprawl development, preserving our open spaces for generations to come. As a trusted advocate of both open spaces and climate-smart communities, Greenbelt Alliance is in a unique position to help infill development projects move forward.
The Climate SMART Development Endorsement Committee shares a commitment to building a more climate-resilient future through the creation of more climate SMART homes. We pursue these goals to achieve our mission of ensuring that the Bay Area’s lands and communities are resilient to a changing climate.
If you have any questions about this committee, please contact Zoe Siegel, firstname.lastname@example.org
What We Are Looking For?
Title: Climate SMART Development Endorsement Committee Member
Deadline to apply: January 15, 2024
Responsibilities: All members of the Development Endorsement Committee are required to fulfill the following duties:
- Attend the 8-12 Development Endorsement Committee meetings each year;
- Review information about each development prior to committee meeting;
- Come prepared with a high level understanding of project(s) being reviewed and any initial questions;
- Become familiar with Climate SMART Development Endorsement Guidelines and evaluate each project based on these criteria.