Vote Yes on Measure J for Better Transit in Contra Costa
We need your help to reduce traffic congestion and improve the transportation system in Contra Costa County by voting yes on Measure J! Measure J will be on the March 2020 ballot and we’re encouraging residents across the county to support it.
Measure J, initially proposed by the Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA), includes a ½ cent sales tax, which will generate $103 million annually to fund the county’s transportation system. Greenbelt Alliance has been deeply engaged in the creation of Measure J, along with a coalition of partner organizations, including Save Mount Diablo, TransForm, Bike East Bay, Sierra Club, Urban Habitat, Save the Bay, Monument Impact, grassroots climate change organizations, and transit operators. After several meetings, our hard-fought advocacy efforts resulted in the CCTA including the majority of our demands in Measure J, a ballot measure that not only improves the transportation system, but that also supports a climate-smart vision for the county.
Measure J Means Smart Growth & Open Space Wins
If passed in the March 2020 election, Measure J’s Transportation Expenditure Plan will incorporate wins around climate-smart and inclusive development. These wins include:
- Improving walking and biking options on streets and trails.
- Reducing the number of cars on the road, which in turn reduces greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution.
- Providing safe, accessible, and inclusive transportation options for children, seniors, veterans, and people who are disabled.
- Supporting infill development within existing urban areas near transit.
In 2016, a similar measure was rejected by Contra Costa County voters because it missed the mark in key areas. With significant updates, Measure J includes the demands Greenbelt Alliance and a coalition of environmental organizations made as well as the community’s input. We are excited about this opportunity for Contra Costa County to continue to lead the Bay Area on smart transit-oriented development.
- Click here to tell the Contra Costa Transportation Authority Board you want better transit.
- Show your support for Measure J by endorsing it here.
Have questions about Measure J? Click here to contact us today!